Freitag, 31. Oktober 2014

Autobiography : Journey of a Missionary Priest / Rev. Fr. George Pallivathukal.- (Continuation)


  A collection of the experiences of fifty years of a Missionary Priest in central India. 

 
"The Russians were constructing a steel plant in Hatia close to Ranchi. It was a central Government project. Thousands of villagers were displaced, thrashed and chased out of their homes and their land was snatched and captured without paying any compensation. Innumerable labourers from Thamilnadu and Andhra pradesh who came in search of work were camping in the place. They were living under trees or in small huts, living in sub-human conditions. There were no church leaders or Marxists in the place to speak for them. " Fr.George Pallivathukal.

Chapter III

Back in Ranchi Seminary-

Study of Theology.

Fr.George Palliwathukal
 After one year of Regency, in June 1959 I was back in St. Albert's college, Ranchi to pursue my four years of Theology course. In the seminary we were prepared to be missionaries. Our Our professors were not only men of knowledge, but also men of missionary experience. Besides class room lectures we students were given plenty of opportunities to acquire knowledge and experience through many extra curricular activities. We were permitted to visit parishes of Ranchi Arch Diocese and observe the work of the missionaries at the grassroots level.  

 Some personal Experiences.

During my Theology course Fr. Mathijs S. J. was our Rector. He was a man with a sharp intellect, a very good teacher, an efficient administrator and organizer. He would encourage and assist students according to their ability and aptitude. In my first year of Theology itself he had put me in charge of the IHS (Institute for Home Studies), his pet programme of Evangelization  through postal correspondence. I held this post until I was ordained in my last year of Theology. Thousands of people were contacted all over central and north India through this correspondence course.

Sermon Notes. 

I collected a group of five seminarians to prepare sermon notes for all Sundays of the year. The Rector appreciated it and whole hearted supported our effort. Joseph Karamullil; one of the team members, was a very good typist and he typed all the notes prepared by the group. Fr. Rector allowed him to use the seminary duplicating machine to print out copies of our notes and distribute to any one who was interested in them.

Catechism classes in school.

In order to give us practical experience in teaching catechism and to impress upon us how important this apostolate is in the life of a priest Fr.Ealen S.J. had arranged with the the Montfort Brothers of Ranchi to permit us to teach catechism in their in their St. Aloysius High School which was very close to the seminary. While teaching in this school we came in contact with some great Educationist like Bro. John of the Cross,Bro. Augustinus and a few others. I continued to do this ministry till my ordination because I liked teaching catechism.   

 Steel Plant -  People were living under trees and small huts.
 
Steel plant in Ranchi
The Russians were constructing a steel plant in Hatia close to Ranchi. It was a central Government project. Thousands of villagers were displaced, thrashed and chased out of their homes and their land was snatched and captured without paying any compensation. Innumerable labourers from Thamilnadu and Andhra pradesh who came in search of work were camping in the place. They were living under trees or in small huts, living in sub-human conditions. There were no church leaders or Marxists in the place to speak for them. 

Our professor of sociology Fr.Windey SJ who was also the head of the department of sociology in St.Xavier's college, Ranchi narrated the misery of these unfortunate people to us in the class.Moved by what Fr.Windey told us three of us Joseph Karamullil of Raigarh, Thomas Arangassery of Sambalpur and I got together and discussed what we could do help these people. 

We knew that the problem was far greater than we could handle. We also knew that any attempt on our part to help these people would be like hitting our heads against a big rock. We consulted Fr.Ealen S J. He told us " Brothers, it is better to light one candle rather than curse the darkness". He promised us his support. Our Rector Fr. mathijjs gladly gave us permission to do social work in Hatia, but at the same time cautioned us about our studies.  

 In Hatia  

We visited Hatia every Thursday, for three years. Fr. Ealen would reserve three bicycle for us on Wednesday evening itself. He would celebrate Mass for us at 5'o clock in the morning and arrange for our early breakfast. We would set out with a few sandwiches in our bags. We would visit all groups of people, the laboureres, the middle class employees and officers. There were a few engineers and officers from Kerala because of whom we had easy access to the officers.

Hatia Railway station , Ranchi
The labour class was prone to Malaria, Typhoid, Diarrhea, and Tuberculosis. We would arrange to get them treated in the Government hospital at Ranchi. To our consolation there were some nursing sisters from Kerala and a few kind hearted doctors in that hospital. They would look after the sick whom we brought or referred to the hospital. Those days Government employees were less corrupt and more kind hearted than those of these days. Our ministry in Hatia gave us an opportunity to come in contact with many Government officials, hospital authorities and NGOs. We were cassock and that gave us easy access to any office. Meanwhile Fr. Jos De Cuyper got some funds from Belgium and built a church for christians of the area at Ullathu near Hatia.

Touched by the humility of the Superior.

Once I had an argument in the class with Fr. Jos De Cuyper SJ; our professor of canon law and liturgy. I disagreed with him on the matter of interpretation of a particular canon. I had read different interpretations of the same canon in a commentary on canon law by a well known auther. We had a heated argument . I gave him the reference of the book in the library. He was a little annoyed and told me to sit down. I said " I will sit down but I do not agree with your teaching.

After the class Fr. De Cuyper went to the library and found out that my stand was correct. The next day when we assembled for the class he put down his books and notes on the table and after saying the prayers, he paused for a while and said " Brothers yesterday Bro.George and I had an argument regarding the interpretation of this canon. I want to tell you that he was right and I was wrong. I am sorry. A great applause was the natural reaction. The he added" We professors have to be very careful because there are students who are ahead of us". I felt very small in front of that great personality. Only noble persons can be humble like this individual. After the class when I went into his room to apologize for my "daring foolishness", he hugged me and said "George ,I am proud of you". He blessed me and sent me away. It was an amazing and awesome experience to have such exemplary priests training us for our priesthood.

Several years later when Fr. Jos De Cuyper and I, as a team, were visiting several Diocese in North India conducting animation programmes in the renewed Liturgy, he remembered the above mentioned incident and said " George, those days I was your teacher and you were my student, but today both of us teach, sharing the same platform. How wonderful is God's plan".

When I was in the second year of Theology my youngest sister Tessy followed Sister Mary George in to the convent.She also joined the congregation of St Joseph's Sisters of Chamberi, Sager. Sager was a part of Jabalpur diocese in those days. I was happy that both my sisters chose religious life and they were close to me in the absence of our parents. I was a father, mother, and a brother to them.

dhruwadeepthi.blogspot.de

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.